Monday, March 8, 2010

I got my picture taken with...

The President of Costa Rica!!

This evening I attended, with many other students from my program, an opening ceremony of an education summit/conference/or something of the sort for about 10 countries, including the U.S. This was held in the National Theatre in San Jose. The President of Westchester University, Ambassador to Costa Rica (who ironically didn't speak Spanish) and Rector of the National University that I attend here all spoke in addition to the President of Costa Rica, Óscar Arias Sánchez . Afterwards, the President walked down the aisle, and I was in the second seat from the aisle. I didn't get to shake his hand, but we attacked him (not literally) outside the auditorium for a picture. It is interesting here, in contrast to the United States, that we could get so close to the President. They had body guards, but they were nowhere near as concerned as they would be in the U.S.

Also today, a guy in my class asked if I wanted to be interviewed with him by a couple of Ticas for their English class. I agreed, because I wanted to practice my Spanish. Three hours later, we finished hanging out with our new Tica friends. It is great to finally be practicing my Spanish with other people than my host family and teachers!
Here are the photos from tonight:


All of the speakers on stage, with the President in the center.








Then a group sang.








Then the President spoke.








Then he walked right past me.






Then we got a picture with him. When I get it, I will be sure to post it!
Pura Vida,

Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment